It has become painfully apparent to me, in recent months, how far behind I have fallen in my mail art correspondence. My list of folks to whom I owe mail is growing daily and I found myself stressing as to how I might catch up.
Working in series is not a new concept for me. Rather, I have done so almost from the beginning. Most times my series are limited to twelve pieces or fewer at a go.
It occurred to me that were I to create one large background piece, I could cut it into multiple postcard sized pieces. From there, I could either embellish further, or post in the raw.
The place to start? My local art supply dealer. I found this twelve sheet Strathmore Watercolor Pad (18″ x 24″) for half price! Gotta love that! Some quick math brought me to the conclusion that I’d get eighteen pieces per sheet. The pad would then yield 216 postcards! I was sold!
Back in the studio, I used a common background layering technique. I began by laying in color with with acrylic paint in my chosen palette. Layering stencils over the color, using a spray ink came next, followed by bubble wrap and square punchinella applied with acrylic paint and a stencil brush. I used a large background texture stamp and black Staz-on ink overall and then added a large numeral stamp using red Staz-on ink here and there. Using a cylinder dipped in black acrylic, I stamped out a pattern diagonally across the sheet. Finally, I stamped a rich turquoise acrylic paint using a foam stamp of circles in the center area of every four black cylinder markings.
The above photo shows the final product. Below is a close-up cross section of the sheet prior to cutting.
This view gives a better glimpse of the rubber stamping.
Once the sheet was completely dry, I carefully cut it into the eighteen postcards pictured below.
Here’s a close-up shot of the postcards, showing the rich detail of the layers.
I’m not quite sure where I am headed with these. I’ll sleep on it and see what the ‘morrow brings….
Happy Trash to you, until we meet again!